Some of you maybe interest to the facts about Croatia. In this article we provide you some of them. Happy reading!
Some interesting facts about Croatia
Below are some interesting facts about Croatia. Some of you maybe just know about them.
- Croatia is one of world smallest city. In northwestern Croatia you will find a small town called ‘Hum’ which is said to have the world record for being the smallest city in the world! It has a population of between 17 and 23 only!
- The coast in Croatia is known as the Dalmatian coast. You might think this beach is named after the Dalmatians’ dog breed, but the area has been known as Dalmatia since the days of the Roman Empire. The dog’s origins have been officially recognized as a Croatian dog because there are illustrations of this breed dating back to the 17th century.
- HBO’s hit series ‘Game of Thrones’ was filmed on the Dalmatian coast of Split and Dubrovnik. The main incentive to get there if you are a Game of Thrones fan, you can visit several movie sites and even take a GOT tour!
- A person from Croatia holds the Guinness World Record for the largest white truffle. A white truffle weighing 1.31 kg (2 lb 8 oz) has discovered by Giancarlo Zigante from Pototoska in a city in Eastern Croatia in 1999.
- The most famous beach in Croatia is at Bol, which is on the island of Brac. Zlatni Rat Beach is known for its changing shape and color depending on the wind.
- Croatia is home to an amphitheater in Pula which was once the home of Roman gladiator battles. Istria in Croatia is one of 3 preserved in the world. It is included as the 6th largest amphitheater that ever exist.
- Greek brings influence to this country in making wine from two and a half thousand years ago. Making it a great destination for foodies and wine lovers.
- At least 10% of land in Croatia consists of 8 national parks, 11 nature parks and two nature reserves. So, it is amazing for those who like the outdoors.
- The lucky people of Croatia enjoy 2,715 hours of sunshine a year. That’s more than anyone living in Sydney, Australia gets.
- The seaside town of Zadar in Dalmatia is well known as the best sunsets in the world and more beautiful than the one in Key West, Florida as Alfred Hitchcock said.
Another fun facts about Croatia
- If you spread the flat world map, the Croatian city of Ludbreg will be large in the center.
- Noted in history, Nin on the Dalmatian coast together with Varazdin in the north were becoming the capitals once. Currently, Zagreb is the capital of Croatia.
- The oldest inhabited city in Europe is the city of Vinkovci in eastern Croatia. The city has been inhabited for the last 8,000 years.
- The Palace of Diocletian Split has the original Egyptian sphinx thanks to Emperor Diocletian who brought him from Egypt to decorate the entrance to his tomb.
- Along with Spain, Croatia has the highest number of UNESCO Intangibles among any European country.
- The shortest folk costumes in Europe worn by women on the island of Susak
- Rice chocolate was discovered in Croatia in 1963 at the Zvečevo factory in the city of Požega, western Slav.
- Croatia displays the biggest ever necktie in the world, measuring 808 metres. It needs five days to complete and was tied around the Pula Arena in 2003.
Those are facts about Croatia. We hope this article can increase your knowledge about this country. Find more Facts About Country in our site.